Skip to content

Lets go Fly a Kite

June 1, 2011

When I was a little girl I spent a lot of summer evenings at the park with my dad flying kites.  The wind usually picked up in the evenings and he would pack up the car and away we’d go.  And on Monday afternoon we did it again.  We’ve been waiting for a day with good wind and no rain for weeks.  Creamie asked my dad a long time ago if he had a green kite she could fly.

the green kite

Yes, yes Creamie, grandpa has green kites!  He also has pink and orange and purple and yellow and striped kites, and seven rainbow colored kites that string together to make one big monster kite, .  And trick kites.  Those are my favorite.  I don’t know if that is their technical name or not, but it’s pretty descriptive.  These are kites you fly with two strings, and with two, you can do tricks.  Spins and dives and flips.  They are seriously awesome.

steering kites

I haven’t flown one of my dads kites for years.  And I crashed quite a few times before I got the hang of it again.  But flying these big kites (the one I was flying was about 6 or 7 feet across) is surprisingly therapeutic.  I stood and squinted into the sun for more than an hour while I tried flips and dives and spins… and a few crashes.

flying kites

That is my great big pink kite up there on the left side, and I’m down there on the grass in the bottom corner.  Creamie of course lost interest way before an hour was up, but the great thing about flying kites at the park is there was a great big playground for her to play on.  And the great thing about bringing a very patient husband along to fly kites is that he got some good photos, and chased around after our child to pick her up when she fell and wipe the dirt out of her mouth when she crashed at the bottom of the slide.  And while all that was going on, and I was oblivious to the world, lost in the sky with my kite, somehow that green kite got away from it’s post.  It must have been one of the times my dad was helping me get mine in the air.  It tugged itself out of it’s anchor and went on its merry way, thankfully the string got caught in a tree on the other side of the park and my dad’s great big 6’6″ tall self was able to get it down without too much trouble.  Dads are awesome like that.

sitting down

I can’t believe it’s June already, this year is almost half over, how did that happen?  Also, today is my dads birthday.  Happy Birthday Dad!  Thank you so much for all the things that you do for me.  I am so glad that you are a part of my life, I love you so much.

I think we will spend quite a few evenings at this park this summer flying kites.  I absolutely loved it. I have been short on posting lately, but I’ve been sewing a LOT.  I think last week I made two dresses, two skirts and two shirts (with one more nearly finished), plus stitched the binding on a quilt.  I’ve got another quilt to make this week, and some quilt kits for the shop I work at.  I got htem all cut out yesterday.  All the clothes I made were for small people… the next clothing project will be for me! (Which kind of makes me nervous, I’m not going to lie.)

9 Comments leave one →
  1. June 1, 2011 9:05 am

That is one spectacular kite-flying ground! Wow, what a view. Who cuts that grass??? Lovely outing with your family, thanks for sharing. Do they call those two-stringers stunt kites?

2. June 1, 2011 9:27 am

Love.

xox

3. June 1, 2011 11:09 am

Hey, its me, Paige.
    Wow! you live in an absolutely beautiful part of the country! The background scenery is absolutely beautiful.
    This was another good post! I was wondering where you had been. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your projects!
    Have a great day!
    Paige

4. Susan Twilley permalink
    June 1, 2011 1:57 pm

I want some bits of your life please. #1 Time with Dad. My dad passed in Jan. and life has not been the same without him. Spend as much time with him and that little creampuff together as possible. Not trying to lecture here, clearly you are doing it. My dad didn’t get to see big bits 4th or my little bits 2nd 😦 I miss him so. #2 You guys are in jackets and sweaters!! It is already a scorcher her in Tx. We went to the park today and lasted about 10 minutes before big bit said we should go home and cool off with a popsicle. I was happy to indulge:)

5. Lynda B permalink
    June 1, 2011 2:14 pm

Nice to see you back, was hoping all was well and not poorly again. And like everyone else thats commented, you live in a beautiful place, what a fantastic view, it looks lovely….

6. June 1, 2011 4:38 pm

Pink,

Super awesome post! Love the photos and the narrative was great. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading it.

xo -E

7. June 3, 2011 7:35 am

AMAZING long shot of you flying the kite! I totally want to go fly some kites now.
    Can’t wait to see your latest sewn creations!

8. June 21, 2011 7:08 am

Hey! I missed this back on June 1. I know exactly where this is!! The pool was behind your husband when he took that picture of you with the pink kite, right? You were less than a mile from my mom’s house. maybe we can meet up and fly some kites. 🙂

Trackbacks