Make me a Mix Tape
A few weeks ago I saw this giant sized tshirt on clearance at Old Navy. It was $2 and as soon as I saw it I knew that it would make a perfect purse. I found the turquise polkadot lining on clearance for I think $3.50 at the end of the summer. And after I washed the polkadots with a load of darks (they were incredibly white next to that black shirt!) to gray them up a bit I started cutting things apart.
I added gussets in the bottom to help give it a little shape. And there are two interior polka dotted pockets, and one big pocket on the back made from the cut up sleeves of the tshirt.
I found a strip of velcro in my sewing box that was exactly the right length to keep it closed. And then I started to wonder when I had purchased black velcro. Well, I never have. When we got married I
took over Scotts mini sewing kit. That little strip of velcro was leftover from a highschool sewing project of his. When he was 17 years old he made a full on ski jacket complete with zippers and velcro hood and drawstrings and goretex lining and everything. And this week, 13 years later, I used up the last of his velcro.
On this purse I tried my hand at exposed and raw edge seams… I don’t think I much like it. On this 80’s inspired grunge looking project I actually really like how the end product looks. But getting to that point created all sorts of internal drama. I don’t know why, but it was so hard for me to turn my sewing mind inside out as I made up the pattern for this purse. In my mind I kept sewing the raw edges inside, and then I’d get all confused with my self. I’ll blame it on sewing at midnight. I lined the bag with a thick fusible fleece, so it almost feels like it’s made of a sweatshirt instead of a tshirt. And I think that make it more winterlike. (Smiles to self.) It’s large enough to fit my very biggest art journal inside, or any number of my notebooks from my ever growing stack.