Down to the Wire
Well friends, Sewing Summit starts in just two short days. I am plugging away at my to do list. I am ridiculously thankful that Scott had a paid holiday today so I could get a lot of things done without parking Creamie in front of the TV all day. She had a great time playing with him all day. And I successfully threaded my serger without crying and then hemmed 20 tablecloths.
Today I made a pretty vintage sheet bunting that is going to be given away in a bunting swap at Sewing Summit. It felt good to cut into a few of the pretty sheets I’ve been saving and hoarding for so long. One of my goals on my 30 before 30 list was to sell pieces of my sheet collection. And as soon as Sewing Summit is over I am going to start slicing and dicing them into kits. I’ll do some bunting kits, some fat quarter bundles, and probably some larger 1/4 yard strip kits. I’ll get myself together here as soon as I recover from the next week.
So, I don’t embroider. Like at all. But I want to learn, so on Saturday while I was working at my quilt shop job I asked the lady I was working with to give me a lesson. She is amazing. And before I left I had a good start on a small simple project. On Sunday I was sitting on the couch working on it some more and Creamie got all excited about doing her own stitching. And after lunch we tried it. You guys. She did amazingly well. I mean, she got distracted easily, and had to stop for snacks, but before she went to bed she had stitched her own little flower. All by herself. I helped her get the needle up from the bottom in the right spot, but everything else was all on her own. I am ridiculously proud. And I am framing this little flower. Today she started another project, her name in rainbow letters. And this time she is doing the whole thing herself. Her tiny little three year old fingers are coordinated enough to push her needle back up from the underside with only 1 thread between the end of her last stitch and the beginning of the next. She amazes me.
This is my small project. It’s my first successful embroidered anything. (This pic was taken before I added the satin stitches on the beaks, and a worm in the mamas mouth.) The pattern is from Aimee Rae‘s book Doodle Stitches. Which is lovely, I’ve spent a happy few days browsing through it. Ok, back to the todo list. And I’m gonna work a little ice cream and warm cookies in there somewhere.