Skip to content

Recipe: 3 Layer Neopolitan Birthday Cake

February 17, 2011

Do you want to know my big fat secret to this cake.  Duncan Hines Cake Mix.  With a little oomph.

neopolitan cake

Neopolitan Cake Recipes

CHOCOLATE AND VANILLA

For the chocolate and vanilla layers I used a Duncan Hines Devils Food and a  Duncan Hines French Vanilla mix.  And then I souped them up.

• 1 cake mix
  • 1 3.9 oz (small box) instant jello pudding ( choc or vanilla respectively)
  • 2 TB flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 cup applesauce

Combine dry cake mix, pudding and flour in mixing bowl, then dump in everything else.  Mix on low for 1 min, medium for 2 minutes until well combined.  Prepare a 9″ round cake pan with cooking spray and a piece of parchment paper cut to fit.  Pour half the batter into the pan, and then make 12 cupcakes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Or you could make two layers, but I didn’t need five layers of cake.  I didn’t need 24 cupcakes either, but those were easy to deliver to friends and family!

STRAWBERRY

For the Strawberry Layer I used this recipe for pink cupcakes.  It made one 9″ round layer for my cake.  If you think you need ANOTHER 12 cupcakes, double it.

• 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tea vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sliced strawberries. Puree in blender
  • 1/4 cup milk (mix with strawberry puree)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tea baking powder
  • 1/8 tea salt (omit if you used salted butter)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Combine the sliced strawberries and milk in the blender.  Starting with the wet ingredients, alternately add wet and dry in batches, mixing well after each addition and ending with the last of the dry stuff.  Scrape sides often, and mix well.  Pour into a greased and parchment lined pan and bake for 26-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

DELICIOUS PINK FROSTING

I started by whipping about a cup and a half of whipping cream into very stiff peaks with a few drops of red food coloring.  Then I beat together in my mixer 1 8 oz package of neufatchel cheese (the low fat cream cheese substitute) and a cup of butter.  When that was nice and fluffy I added a splash of vanilla and about half a 32 oz bag of powdered sugar.  Then I folded in the whipped cream, and added more powdered sugar until it was as thick as I wanted it.  I kind of made this up as I went along, I don’t think frosting is an exact science.    It made enough frosting to do this big three layer cake, and frost all 24 cupcakes.  Once your cakes are all completely cooled layer them up with a lot of frosting and decorate! I used Strawberry Whoppers to decorate around the bottom edge of the cake.  After I was done frosting everthing I put the whole cake back in the fridge to help the frosting firm up a bit.  And getting a three layer cake on a pedestal to fit into the fridge was probably the hardest part about the whole cake making experience.  It was time consuming (hello, you are making three different kinds of cake!) but not hard at all.

birthday treats

And it turned out to be a perfectly delicious cake for Creamie’s party.  Enjoy!

11 Comments leave one →
  1. February 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Ah-mazing!

2. February 17, 2011 7:30 pm

this looks absolutely delightful! i’m definitely going to try this one day!

3. Suzanne permalink
    February 18, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks for posting, you have such beautiful ideas!

4. February 18, 2011 11:03 am

I’ve been trying not to make a cake with Steiger for the last few days…
    but this is putting me over the top.

I hope you’re feeling better, and Creamie too! :(

5. February 20, 2011 5:20 pm

thank you so much for posting this. g’s b’day is today and we’ll probably celebrate later in the week (because we’re all sick). i think i’m going to make the cupcakes because i’ve been craving them since you brought some over. : )

6. February 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Oh, Pink,

That cake is absolutely mouth-watering. I can almost taste it and have decided that I must make one. So super YUMMY!

xo -El

P.S. I usually use Betty Crocker cake mixes. Does it HAVE to be Duncan Hines in order for it to turn out?

P.S. again. I hope you’re feeling better. I’ve missed you around the blog. Also, I’m sort of envious of the 8 lbs. you lost. I had stomach flu and only lost 3. And I had a lot more that I could do without than you. I must be mentally holding on to that weight. Grr. Wish I could crack that case.

7. Chelsey permalink
    September 7, 2011 7:45 pm

I wanted to thank you for this… I made this cake for my bday/house warming party and everyone loved it! It turned out wonderful!

8. July 15, 2014 1:00 am

Bulk herbal laxatives include psyllium seeds and husks, flaxseeds, fenugreek, and kelp.
    This is fantastic herbal answer to Azoospermia since it promotes healthy the circulation of blood all over tthe body and
    removes blockages; zinc heightens energy levels and curees problems like erectile dysfunction. But many natural and herbal products
    mmay also help some lupus patients take care of tthe debilitating signs of this unpredictable disorder.

9. July 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Chris Weidman (9-0-0)
    With his two round dismantling of Mark Munoz, Weidman made a case for a title shot.
    But with Munoz being his first advanced level opponent another fight seems more inclined.

Recent title contenders Chael Sonnen or Vitor Belfort could prove to
    be the best test for the rising Weidman. A enlighten either opponent could seal the sale to get a title shot.

Rashad Evans (17-2-1)
    Coming off a loss of revenue to current champion
    Jon Jones, Rashad has hinted at dropping to middleweight to challenge
    Silva. With his knockout power and athleticism, he could be formidable opponent to
    challenge for your belt. With wins over Rampage Jackson, Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, Tito Ortiz, and Phil Davis anchoring his resume, he
    would be a welcomed addition towards the middleweight roster.

Vitor Belfort (21-9-0)
    After pulling out of UFC 147 using a hand injury and
    due return later this season, Belfort needs a big fight to break prior
    to the pack. A win over Sonnen or Weidman would throw him right into a rematch with Silva and possibly avenge his
    front kick knockout loss on the champ in 2011
    Alan Belcher (18-6-0)
    After an amazing TKO victory over Brazilian leg
    lock specialist Rousimar Palhares at UFC on FOX 3, Belcher has shot in to the title picture.
    With only 1 loss in his last 5 fights Belcher is made for ready for that
    next challenge. Maybe a fight with Stann, Bisping or Boetsch should be next before you
    take an attempt in a best three opponent.
    Hector Lombard (31-2-1-1) or Tim Boetsch (15-4-0)
    If long time Bellator Middleweight champion Lombard debuts having
    a dominant make an impression on Boetsch at UFC
    149, based on rumors he’ll almost certainly most likely have the next shot?
    But a subpar performance could move another
    contender in advance of him. Boetsch is originating of an
    hard fought third round TKO over Yushin Okami at UFC
    144. A win over Lombard would raise his stock considerably but not a great deal regarding warrant
    a title shot. Perhaps a fight with the winner of Bisping
    and Stann could be the next step barring that they can do not receive a title shot.

Michael Bisping (22-4-0) or Brian Stann (12-4-0)
    With a make an impression on Stann at UFC 152, Bisping could receive his long awaited
    title shot provided Lombard fails in their debut and Rashad Evans does
    not drop down. His only discrepancies are losses to recent contender Chael Sonnen, former Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad
    Evans, Dan Henderson, and Wanderlei Silva. Originally scheduled to welcome Hector Lombard to the UFC, Stann
    pulled out of the fight having an injury. Now scheduled to battle Bisping, a conquer
    The Count could put Stann right back to the title picture.
    Contenders like Chris Weidman, Vitor Belfort, or a rematch with
    Chael Sonnen await.
    George St. Pierre (22-2-0)
    A long requested super fight between Silva and St. Pierre can be huge.
    But with St. Pierre stating the fact however not move up in weight until the end of his career and Anderson being 37 yrs .
    old this fight seems unlikely.

Trackbacks